Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My 1st rally car

I got this "new" car from Japan. Its 15 years old but just 49,000km, no rust, no problems, under hood it looks like its 3-5 year old car, not a 15.
As you may see this is Subaru Impreza GC8 but its not just Impreza and not just WRX. This is Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type-RA, almost Colin McRay's car ;-) This car was born for rally and finally after 15 year of waiting it will go for rally.


But 1st I need to prepare car for real rally: weld roll cage, put FIA approved seats, 6-point harness, skid plates to protect engine and rear diff, install fire extinguishers, hooks for puling...
Hey I found some nice Team Dynamics rims for the car ;-) but we don't have asphalt rally here :-(


so, I need to install gravel struts from RS&SP. Everybody says RS&SP is good and strong. But they are not cheap so I ordered the cheapest struts directly from Argentine. These struts are 1-way adjustable (you can adjust bound and rebound at once, not separately).
Question is - what exactly settings should I use? Softer? Harder? No place to test, no time to test - struts came 1 day before my 1st rally.
What's good, they allow to adjust height of the car as well, so now I can put gravel tires and drive on some rough roads.


I added PIAA lights for 2nd rally with night stages. 85W bulbs are really bright but lamps produce very narrow beam, I would prefer a little more wide pattern...
Ordered stock fog lamps as well. They will not produce much light but car looks much better. As usually they came 10 minutes before I was leaving for 2nd rally.


Rally car should have decals. But no sponsors yet :-(
So I put some home-made stripes. Looks good?



Ready to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment